While licensing SEPs in the smartphone industry is well understood, licensing SEPs will be much more difficult to navigate for real IoT use cases. Here each sector will apply connectivity differently and some experts believe that licensing mechanisms will need to become more flexible as there is no one-size-fits-all model that will work across all industry verticals. For example, linking a refrigerator to other home appliances might be a much simpler application of e.g. 4G/5G than installing 4G/5G-enabled security features in a car, which are crucial to avoiding road accidents. Some industry experts believe a uniform licensing model will not work. Instead, the SEP royalties for the refrigerator will likely need to be lower than those for vehicles. Although flexibility is vital, the industry must also find mechanisms that allow companies to aggregate and package the licensing of SEPs to avoid licensing inefficiencies yielding lengthy negotiations or even patent litigation.
This virtual panel will discuss:
- IoT standards: What are important IoT standards? What are the IoT use cases where SEPs matter? E.g. Automotive and home appliances? Will access to SEPs influence the technology choice where possible?
- Patent pools: How can pools reduce negotiation costs? How can pools set incentives also for SMEs? Licensing on component vs. OEM level? What are other aggregation models? Who defines pricing for all verticals?
- FRAND case law: Comments on DoJ 5G Business Review Letter. Comments on recent German and UK FRAND decisions. What will change / stay the same for SEP licensees? Expectation of future litigation?
- Outlook: How will the IoT industry have to prepare for licensing SEPs for standards they implement? Will strategies change for IP management in industries where IoT matters? Will IoT companies also join standards development for connectivity standards?
The two panelist that will be interviewed by our CEO Tim Pohlmann are:
- Matthias Schneider Chief Licensing Officer Audi
- Dr. Thomas Buchholz Chief Digital Patent Counsel BSH Home Appliances Group
Download Presentation and Register
Please fill out the form below and we will send you an e-mail with a download link.