In this virtual panel Matthias Schneider Chief Licensing Officer Audi and Dr. Thomas Buchholz Chief Digital Patent Counsel BSH discussed the future of SEP licensing for real IoT use cases. Here each sector will apply connectivity differently and some experts believe that licensing mechanisms will need to become more flexible as there is no one-size-fits-all model that will work across all industry verticals. For example, linking a refrigerator to other home appliances might be a much simpler application of e.g. 4G/5G than installing 4G/5G-enabled security features in a car, which are crucial to avoiding road accidents. In this regard the panelist discussed the following questions:
- Should SEP licensing happen on the component level or OEM level?
- What is the patented value that a standard brings to a refrigerator compared to a car compared to a smart phone?
- What is a fair SEP royalty for a standard? How will pricing differ among use cases?
- Will access to SEP licenses and the fear of litigation influence the choice which technology standard to incorporate?
- How will the IoT industry have to prepare for licensing SEPs for standards they implement?
Download Video Recording and Presentation Slides
Please fill out the form below and we will send you an e-mail with a download link.